After my month-long dalliance with knits, I swung backs to wovens at the weekend. I find each one makes me appreciate the strengths of the other: the speed of fluid knits vs the accuracy of sturdy wovens. Both good fun in their own ways.
Talking of fabrics first, this gorgeous crepe de chine was kindly sent to me by Sam via the Stash Diet swapping group on Flickr. What a great idea, eh? I’ve sent out several bits of fabric and yarn (I have some left, check the group!) and received back this lovely stuff and some new-to-me patterns. Thank you Sam and I hope you approve of what I did with it!
The pattern I used is the Elizabeth top from Style Arc, an Australian company who also sell their patterns to big retail stores like Asos. In general I’d say that they are geared toward the more advanced sewist, as the instructions for both patterns I bought are somewhat scarce. Very little guidance is given on things like seam finishes and construction methods, so a bit of prior knowledge and common sense is a must. But the trade-off is you get extremely good drafting, great style lines, and a very RTW type look to their garments. And for this pattern anyway, it was easy enough to figure out the construction steps without much help.
My aim was to create something similar to my silk tulip-front Scout, which is definitely my most-worn woven top. I think this ticks a lot of the same boxes: graphic print in muted colours, luxe yet easy to wear (and sew) fabric, comfortable shape while still looking like I’ve made a bit more of an effort that just wearing a plain tee. Mission accomplished, I think.
As I said, the drafting and the fit of this pattern are great. I made no fitting modifications besides lowering the neckline quite a bit. I especially like the slim ‘longer-than-short’ sleeves and the subtle asymmetry at the hem. The under layer covers pretty much the whole torso so there’s no risk of it flying open.
There’s a little keyhole at the back neck, which I finished with a comedy giant button. The rest of the neckline is finished with self-fabric bias, and I used a twin needle throughout on the hems. This pattern works in a knit or woven, so I think I’ll be making up more versions sometime – check out Sally’s sweet striped jersey one!