Yippee, I made trousers! OK, they were basically the easiest trousers ever, but I’m still super pleased with them.
The pattern is Burda 07/2011. They came together so quickly: from cutting the simple shapes to overlocking the long straight seams, pretty easy stuff. The fit was amazingly bang-on out of the box too: I just made them a bit smarter by slimming the legs a bit and using jersey rib for the waistband instead of the slouch-down knit band in the pattern. After toying with the idea of adding rib cuffs to the hems, I went for an ankle/cigarette length instead.
The slouchy silhouette called for a fabulous fabric to bring them out of pyjama territory, so I went for a printed poplin which was kindly sent to me by Minerva Crafts for review. I hadn’t sewn with poplin before; I had it in my head that it was a thicker canvas-type fabric (might’ve had it confused with pique?) when it’s actually more like a lawn type weight. When I saw Kathryn’s lovely flippy skirt that also utilises a Minerva poplin I thought it looked ideal for breezy pants.
I’m already a big Minerva customer – I’ve bought chambray, jersey, viscose and remnants from them before. This poplin is at the pricier, but still very reasonable, end of their range at £8.99/m. The diamond print looks super 20s Art Deco to me and the colours are bang within my palette. It comes in a reversed-out colourway too. It feels light and silky, sewed up very easily and I think it was a great match for this pattern. It even pressed well so my hems are all nice and crisp, and I don’t think it will wrinkle or sag with wear. I’ll definitely be investing in more of their poplins for future projects.
I definitely want another pair of these in a different fabric: perhaps in a slighter heavier brown or rust-red twill for the autumn, even a light denim like this pair might work. Yay for trousers! Might even try some with a fly front next, gulp.